In this podcast, we discuss the difficult topic of miscarriage and baby loss and what that means when you’re a Christian.
Miscarriage isn’t an easy thing even though many people have experienced this type of loss and grief. Sadly, miscarriages are common but each person and family experiences it in their own unique way. We might feel a loss of control, fear, confusion, stress, and heartbreak. God’s voice may seem far away during these times. Even as Christians, it can be difficult to know how to pray and care for those grieving losses of this kind.
Elyse, Nathan, and Traci are our guests today.
A few verses of comfort to someone whenever they are ready to hear them.
- “…You put my tears into Your bottle. Are they not in Your book?” – Psalm 56
- “…They that know Your Name will put their trust in You: for You, Lord, have not forsaken those that seek You” – Psalm 9
- “Preserve me, O God, for in You do I put my trust” – Psalm 16
- “In my distress I called on the Lord and cried to my God: He heard my voice from His temple and my cry came to Him, into His ears” – Psalm 18
- The Lord is near to them that have a broken heart and saves those who are crushed in spirit” – Psalm 34
- “Trust in Him at all times…pour out your hearts before Him: God is a refuge for us.” – Psalm 62
Questions covered in this episode:
- In a world that is touched by death, pain and loss are inevitable. How do we reconcile our faith with the reality of this type of grief?
- When going through unexpected loss, we need truth – doctrine, and principles from God’s Word, the Bible, to help us make sense of what is happening to us – and what the Lord is doing. What aspects of a biblical framework can we turn to when faced with the tragedy of miscarriage and baby loss?
- Losing a child hurts – what does it look like to depend on the Word of God when you’re grieving?
- How do men deal with miscarriage and loss differently? What are needs that often go unseen?
- Miscarriage and loss are very painful. How can we grieve and long for a child while making sure that motherhood doesn’t become an idol (something we worship)?
- Many people talk about “breaking the silence” and encourage others to share tragedies publicly – but there are people who don’t want to announce their pain. What steps can we take to get private support?
- How can we, as a community of Christians, better support those grieving “invisible” losses, so to speak?
You might be suffering silently and this podcast helped you in some way. We implore you to reach out to other believers in your immediate vicinity who are trustworthy and lean on them for support to walk through this with you. Lean on Christ, God’s word, and God’s people.
It’s hard – it might look like no one you know can understand what you’re going through. Pray – ask the Lord for wisdom and to direct you to the right people to speak with. We are the Body of Christ. When one member suffers, we all suffer.
- Skillful application of Scripture
- Safe in the Arms of God, John MacArthur
- Learning through Loss Bible Study, Sandy Day (www.calebministries.org)
- Grief: Finding Hope Again, Paul David Tripp
- The Moon is Always Round, Jonathan Gibson
Subscribe so you don’t miss an episode!
A place for casual discussions of Biblical principles and difficult questions that face the Christian believer. We believe that the Bible can speak to todays issues, giving us the wisdom and courage we need for our lives. Find us online at https://patternsoftruth.org/