Welcome! Join our podcast team: Patricia, Peter, Krista, and Roy, as they talk about what books of the Bible and books about the Bible they’re reading.
There are many ways to read God’s Word.
One thing that stands out from today’s podcast is that there are many ways to read God’s Word. You can take a chapter a week and incorporate some memorization, or take a study guide through an Old Testament book. Maybe someone’s asked you questions about a prophetic book in the Bible, or you decided to read something you’ve read before, but it hits differently this time around. No matter which way you go, the Bible is such a beautiful and fantastic resource for each one of us—but it does bring up a few questions:
- How has what you’re reading exposed an area in your life where growth needs to take place? (11:00)
- How do we avoid getting arrogant? How do we watch out for that? (18:53)
- How do we make sure that we avoid taking a self-centered view of the lessons the Lord is teaching us in what we learn? 2 Corinthians 1:4 (24:50)
- What do we do when we focus only on “what’s in it for us” as we study Scripture? Remember that while what Scripture has to say to us is pretty vast, it’s important to remember that the Bible is ultimately always pointing us to Christ. (29:32)
- Have we really read what we’re reading? Do we sometimes skip over things we grew up with, or do we take the time to meditate on them? (33:48)
- Why is it so hard for us to live out what we learn? To do what we know we should be doing? (35:37)
Thanks for listening as our podcast team shared what they’re reading and the many ways diving into the Word draws us closer to God and each other. If you’re interested in any of the books that were mentioned today, we’ve included the titles below:
- Disciplines of a Godly Man by Kent Hughes
- The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry by John Mark Comer
- The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Conflict by Ken Sande
As we’ve said before, Patterns of Truth is here not only to trace the patterns found in Scripture but also to be a place for deeper discussions with our listeners and readers—so tell us what you’ve been reading?
Subscribe so you don’t miss an episode!
A place for casual discussions of Biblical principles and difficult questions that face the Christian believer. We believe that the Bible can speak to todays issues, giving us the wisdom and courage we need for our lives. Find us online at patternsoftruth.org